Five on Friday

Friday, May 23, 2014

I, for one, am SUPER glad it's Friday! It's been a long week and I've been looking forward to Friday all week because I have it off and plan to spend the WHOLE day with my boys! Sure it means I have to work Saturday, but for right now I've livin' in the moment and loving Friday.

Here's my extra random five's for Friday.

ONE.
Weekend plans.

Speaking of the long weekend, we have lots of fun things planned! Actually Friday we don't really have anything planned except I have an eye doctor appointment (exciting, I know). Even though we don't have official plans, the main plans are to hang out as a family all day. Then Saturday I have to work. Sunday we have tickets to the Angels game. And Monday we got invited over to our friend's house for a BBQ for Memorial Day. I never turn down a BBQ or an extra day to spend with my family!

TWO.
Memorial Day inspired recipes.

I know I talk about sangria a lot (it's one of my favorites!). But I found this recipe on Pinterest and had to share. I pinned it probably a year ago and forgot that I had pinned it for 4th of July last year so I thought I would take advantage of remembering and making it for our little get together on Monday. Sounds simple and delicious!


Red, White, and Blue Sangria

Ingredients:
Strawberries, sliced
Blueberries
Pineapple, cut into star shapes
2 bottles dry white wine
1 cup Triple Sec
1/2 Cup berry-flavored vodka
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup simple syrup

Combine the ingredients in a large pitcher and stir. Chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours.

THREE.
Citrus Lane box.


Our May Citrus Lane box came a week or so ago and we were really surprised to see how much stuff was in it! I opened the box thinking that there would be a smaller box inside, but instead I was surprised by goodies! This month's box included :
Hape Toys sand toys : Parthenon and Track Roller. These are going to be PERFECT for summer! And perfect for our sand/water table. The Goodbyn Hero. Not even on the market yet and we got it in our box! This will be the perfect on the go lunch container for outings this summer. This Melissa and Doug instead chunky wooden puzzle looks like it will be so fun for Mason. Probably just to take apart, but hopefully to put back together as well. We also got some fresh feet wipes to help keep Mason's cute little feet from being so stinky. But my personal favorite part : the cookies. We got some Back to Nature chocolate chip cookies and I cannot wait to try them!

FOUR.
Gymboree.


It's so awesome to watch your kids grow. And Mason's progression at Gymboree is no different. For the past couple weeks, Seth has been taking Mason to Gymboree by himself. For various reasons, I was busy. But this past Saturday and Sunday we both took him. We actually moved him up to the 22 month (level 5) class this past weekend also. Everything was new to Mason but he did REALLY well. It was a real joy to watch him now vs when he was littler. He climbs up slide without hesitation and with confidence. He gets excited for parachute time and actually sits in the middle and doesn't cling to us. He tries to rock himself on the teeter totter and so much more. I can see that his development has come a long way and I think he will do just great in this class with the older kids.

FIVE.
Thankful.


This quote is very applicable right now. Last night something scary happened. Not specifically to me or anyone I know, but scary nonetheless. It was about 7:30pm and I was walking out to my car with some co-workers. We parted ways and went to our separate cars. I started to get into my car and put my lunch box and purse on the seat when I heard a loud BOOM. I literally thought there was an explosion it was so loud. I look outside and see a car had crashed into the light pole across the street. SO HARD that the front end of the car is torn in half. IN HALF. There is smoke coming from the car.  I swear I see someone come running around to the other side of the car and wonder if it is the passenger. I'm still in shock as to what I'm seeing. Thoughts are going through my mind like a million miles an hour.

Do I call 911?
Do I go see if they are ok?
Do I just go home?

I call 911. That's what I should do. Then I hear people literally hundreds of feet away from me yelling "call 911!!!!!!! call 911!!!!!!". So I call. I explain what happen, explain I didn't know how hurt they were because they were far away. Tell them to send help. At this point, I look outside again and someone has taken the man who was driving out of the car. I think back to when people tell you not to move people in an accident and think they probably shouldn't have done that but it's too late now. Tons of people have stopped their cars and gotten out to see if they can help/if everyone is ok. Almost immediately the police arrive. Then what seemed like forever later but was probably like 2 minutes, the fire fighters arrive. I stayed to make sure everything was ok for a few minutes and then I left. I was physically fine but a little in shock and shaken up. I definitely drove home a little slower and more carefully. I finally got home and hugged and kissed my boys a little longer than normal. And just thought about how thankful I was.

Thankful I didn't leave 5 minutes earlier.
Thankful the car didn't crash into another car.
Thankful there was nobody in the cross walk.
Thankful the police station is right down the street.
Thankful the fire station is right down the street.
Thankful so many people stopped to see if he was ok.

Thinking of the man in the accident and his family today and hoping he is ok.

Sorry to end on such a sad note but I just had to say something. But to end on a happier note...

Happy (long!) weekend!


***********************


Linking up with the lovely ladies of The Good Life, Carolina Charm, A. Liz Adventures






5 comments:

  1. Oh how scary! I had to call 911 about an accident that we witnessed and it definitely shook me up too. I remember we were driving a ways behind when it happened and it definitely made us drive more carefully that day! Thankfully we knew everyone was okay after we stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a fun family weekend! Sounds like a blast even with having to work Saturday. That citrus lane box looks amzing wow! I've been thinking about renewing ours and you might have just convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called 911 once because the canal behind my house was on fire, and I suck at calling 911 I have learned. I was so panicky I was making no sense, and she was trying to tell me to do things and I was trying to do them but then couldn't hear what she was saying, and then she hung up on me. ha. I was like gee I'm so good under pressure. The fire was almost out by the time the firefighters got here, and it was all fine. I was slightly bummed Aria wasn't old enough to be into the trucks because..fire trucks right outside the house come on!! I hope everybody was okay in your accident. Scary to see something like that.
    Love the red white and blue sangria! I'm having a summer drinks and dessert party next month and I've decided to make sangria! pinterest is the best.
    I hope you have a fun 3(ish) day weekend...is it still 3 if you have to pop in a day of work in between?! omg I want bbq now too. mmmmmm. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lunch box looks so awesome. I saw it on someone else's blog too. I would love to know what you think of it once you try it out! I might have to order one when they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on all my blog reading today :) That sangria recipe sounds yummy - did you end up making it? Sorry to hear about that car crash- I hope the driver was ok. Hope you had a nice long weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I love connecting with my readers! I respond back via email so please make sure that your email is connected to your profile. Thanks for stopping by :)

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS