[BOY MOMS] Ali from Through the Looking Glass

Monday, May 5, 2014



Hi! My name is Ali and I blog about a little bit of everything over at Through the Looking Glass. I started my blog to share my experiences in life as a parent, well really just my life in general, for friends and family and I'm excited for the opportunity to write here for Elizabeth's series Boy Mom's. My life was forever changed in the fall of 2011 when my husband Jake and I found out we were expecting our first child together! We were so excited and could not have been happier for this next chapter in our lives to begin. As most of us can probably attest too, when you're pregnant, others ask if you hope you're having a boy or a girl. Of course, you are hoping for a healthy baby but in addition to a healthy baby, I did have a secret wish that we would have a boy. A few months later the ultrasound confirmed that we were, in fact, having a boy and the rest is history. For the sake of time, let's fast forward to today and, well, having a boy has been the best thing ever and I could not be more excited to be a BOY MOM! Friends, meet Gavin, my almost 2-year old animal loving, flirt of all flirts, full of personality, ball of energy boy! He is everything I could have every asked for and I am so blessed that God has given me the honor of being his mama.

  gavsheddmegavbunnygavnotebook 

 While there are many similarities with raising boys and girls (I assume, anyway :)) there are some things about being a boy mom that come to mind and I want to share my top ten things I love about this journey. 1) Basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, baseballs - these are just a few things that can be found all over our house these days. If its a ball, we've got it! I used to dabble in a few sports as a kid, but this boy has me re-learning and playing everything with him. His Aunt Kelli and Uncle Brian continue to outfit him with new sports gear and as he gets older he is finding more interest in actually learning and understanding how to play rather than just throwing everything aimlessly.

  ball 

 2) I'm not the girliest girl in the world, but I also don't really enjoy getting down and playing on the dirty, sometimes wet, ground. I'm quickly learning that it just comes with the territory with boys so I might as well leave my dislikes at the door. Boys are boys and boys like to get dirty. As you can see, if you tell them not to play in the grass because its dirty, they'll just plop down on the payment with the water and worms and be right at home.

  gavdirt 

 3) Gavin is starting to expand his vocabulary more and more every day. He has been saying 'mommy' for quite sometime but now that he is starting to put words together into phrases it is taking things to a whole other level. A few weeks ago as I was leaving daycare drop-off, he turned around to me and said 'Bye mommy' with a smile. Be still my heart...it was one of the cutest moments ever and had me smiling ear to ear all day long. I love toddler talk! 4) Legos, legos and more legos! I think this is one of my Jake's favorite parts of being a dad is to play with Legos all over again. Gavin is learning how to stack and build things and it is so fun to watch him explore and learn. 5) Speaking of my husband, the love Gavin has for his daddy is so special that its hard to even describe. Not to mention, they are spitting images of each other as you can see here. As his mom, I love to watch their bond grow stronger and stronger each day. Makes me appreciate everything about my family.

  walk childjmus 

 6) On the flip side, I absolutely love that, as his momma, I'm forever, and always, his first girl. There is nothing better than hearing him say 'I yuv you' and now when he tacks mommy to the end of that phrase it just melts my heart! We have such a fun, silly relationship and he makes every day a fun adventure!

  gavme2shadesgavme3gavvday 

 7) Planes, trains and automobiles are just second language of a boy and a boy mom. Gavin is quick to point out any of these that may be in the vicinity. He gets so excited to watch a train pass by. As an adult, I used to get annoyed when stuck at a train. My thoughts have changed slightly by seeing what a joy they bring to Gavin. Now when we are stopped a train, I can't help but smile when I hear 'Choo-Choo!!!' being shouted from the backseat.

  car gavtrain 

 8) This list wouldn't be complete without a nod to our dog Monty. Gavin LOVES his dog and I am witnessing a special bond unfold between the two of them. Monty sometimes feels otherwise, but over time he has come around. I look forward to watching them chase other and play together in the backyard for years to come.

  gavmonty 

 9) Gavin, at nearly 2, is already such a ladies man and a big flirt! He loves going out to eat and making smiles at the waitstaff and hostesses. With his daycare class, it's amazing to me to see the relationships he is already building with his classmates, especially the little gals. There is one girl in particular he seems quite fond of often repeating her name and from what the provider tells me holding hands, hugging and even kissing has ensued! Gah, already?! What a charmer.

  gavella 

 10) I just love shopping for boy clothes and dressing Gavin in all sorts of little outfits! And, the hats! Cuteness overload. He always looks like such a gentleman. Similarly, come July, Gavin is going to be the ringbearer in my little sister Kelli's wedding and the outfit she's selected for him is just beyond. I guess with that I've squeezed in number 11 of why I love being a boy mom - having my boy be the ringbearer in my sister's wedding is going to be one of the most special moments in his life (and mine!). 

  egg1 

 Thank you for allowing me to share a little bit about my family, Gavin especially, and I hope you enjoyed reading! This journey called motherhood is so special and while, as we all know, it has its ups and downs, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I love being a BOY MOM and wouldn't have it any other way!

******************************


If you would like to share a post about you and your son, email me at elizabethrose84@gmail.com .
I would love to feature you! You don't have to have a blog to participate!




DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS